Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Stuffed Peppers

This recipe came from Mel's Kitchen. My kids are not picky eaters but there is one thing my 6 year old doesn't like. Green peppers. I realized this after I started making these and I felt kind of bad. We have a rule in my house that you have to at least try it before you can say you don't like it. Whatever I make is what we eat. I will not do special orders. So my 6 year old ate all of the filling and a little bit of the green pepper. I think he actually liked it, he just didn't want to admit it. My other kids loved it! I thought it was really good. It was very flavorful. 


Printable Recipe


Stuffed Peppers
4-6 bell peppers
2 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 can tomatoes, undrained
3 Tbsp. tomato paste
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. basil
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 tsp. worcestershire sauce
1 lb. ground beef
1 cup cooked rice
1/2 cup shredded cheese


Cup tops off peppers. Remove seeds and membranes. Chop edible parts of tops. Rinse peppers in cold water. Place in a large pot. Cover with water and 2 tsp salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside. Heat oil in a large skillet. Add green pepper tops, onion, and celery. Cook for 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, garlic, basil, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes. In a large bowl, combine egg, 1 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, and worcestershire sauce. Add beef, rice and 1 cup of the tomato mixture. Mix well. Stuff meat mixture into peppers. Place in a baking dish. Pour remaining tomato mixture on top of peppers. Bake at 350 for 55-65 minutes. Top with cheese. Return to oven until cheese is melted. 

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails