Friday, July 9, 2010

Glazed Meatloaf


I love meatloaf! It's one of those dishes that you either love or hate. I never liked it growing up but I don't think I ever really had it. It just sounded gross...MEATLOAF!!! Seriously, the name isn't very appealing. I finally tried it after I got married. My husband can make a killer meatloaf. I love it now. I found this recipe on My Kitchen Cafe. It is very good and it is so moist. 


Printable Recipe


Glazed Meatloaf
adapted from My Kitchen Cafe


Meatloaf:
1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2/3 cup crushed saltine crackers, about 17
1/3 cup milk (not skim)
1 lb ground beef
1 lb ground pork or turkey
2 large eggs plus 1 large yolk
2 tsp dijon
2 tsp worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp thyme
1/3 cup fresh parsley or 2 Tbsp dried parsley
1 tsp salt
3/4 tsp pepper


Glaze:
1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 1/2 Tbsp cider vinegar
1/2 tsp tobasco sauce


Combine ingredients for glaze. Whisk together until sugar dissolves. Reserve 1/4 cup. Set glaze aside.


Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray. Move the oven rack to the upper position. Turn on the broiler. 


Heat olive oil in a skillet. Add onion and cook until golden, about 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Set aside.


Process saltines until smooth. In a large bowl, combine cracker crumbs and meat. Add onions, milk, eggs, dijon, worcestershire, thyme, parsley, salt, and pepper. Mix well. Place meat on a baking sheet and shape into a 9x5 loaf.


Broil until browned, about 5 minutes. Brush 2 Tbsp of the reserved glaze on the top and sides. Return to oven and broil for another 2 minutes. Remove from oven and brush remaining reserved glaze on the top and sides. 


Move the oven rack to the middle position and change the oven temperature to 350. Return meatloaf to oven and bake for 40-45 minutes until cooked through. Remove from oven and place tent foil on meatloaf. Let rest for 10-20 minutes.


While meat is resting cook the glaze over medium heat until thick, about 5 minutes. Serve with meatloaf. 


Serves 6

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails