Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Beef Stew

I had some leftover roast beef and I really wanted to make beef stew. There's nothing better than a hearty bowl of stew on a cold fall night! I looked online for a recipe but I couldn't find exactly what I wanted. So I came up with this. It turned out great! I used leftover roast but you could use stew meat or a roast cut into cubes. You would just need to simmer the meat longer. I haven't tried it that way but I'm sure it would be really good.

Printable Recipe

Beef Stew
1 1/2 cups cooked shredded roast beef (you can also use stew meat or any type of roast beef cut into cubes)
1/2 cup diced onion
1/4 cup flour
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 Tbsp butter
6-7 cups hot water (depending on how thick you want it)
4 cups chopped potatoes
2 cups sliced carrots
2 beef bouillon cubes, crushed or 2 tsp bouillon granules
1 bay leaf
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp thyme

Melt butter in large pot. Add onion, beef, flour, salt, and pepper. Cook for 2-3 minutes. (If using raw meat, cook until browned) Add water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. (If using raw meat simmer for 1 hour) Add potatoes, carrots, and spices. Cook over medium heat for about 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.

Serves 4-6

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails