Thursday, September 13, 2012

Creamy Potato Leek Soup {Slow Cooker}

Before I made this soup, I had never even tried a leek before. When we got leeks in our Bountiful Baskets last week, I knew I had to try this soup. To be honest, I was a little nervous. Leeks are like giant green onions. I wasn't sure how a soup that consisted of mostly leeks would taste. I was pleasantly surprised. It was really good. My husband loved this soup! He said he likes it almost as much as he likes Creamy White Chicken Chili, which is our favorite soup ever. That's really saying a lot!

Printable Recipe

Creamy Potato Leek Soup
2 leeks, washed and sliced (white and green parts)
6 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 cup onion, diced
2 carrots, sliced
1 stalk celery, sliced
6 cups chicken broth
1 Tbsp dried parsley
1 tsp garlic salt
2 Tbsp butter
12 oz can evaporated milk
1 lb bacon, chopped and cooked crisp
salt and pepper to taste
cheddar cheese
chives

In a large crock pot, combine leeks, potatoes, onion, carrots, celery, chicken broth, parsley, garlic salt, and butter. Cover and cook on low heat for 6-7 hours or high heat for 3-4 hours. Stir in evaporated milk for the last 30 minutes of cooking time. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir half of the bacon into the soup. Serve topped with remaining bacon, cheddar cheese, and chives.

Serves 6-8

Recipe adapted from The Sisters Cafe

Past Recipes:
One year ago: Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
Two years ago: Chicken Parmesan Bundles

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails