Monday, December 30, 2013

White Bean and Fennel Stew with Italian Sausage

I recently had some fennel in my Bountiful Basket and I wasn't sure what to do with it. I like trying new ingredients but it also makes me a little nervous. I wasn't sure how this soup would turn out or if it would even be any good at all! I've heard that fennel has a licorice taste and I'm not a fan of black licorice so I was definitely a little nervous to eat this. When I tried the fennel I noticed that it does have a licorice taste but it's very subtle. When I made this soup I was pleasantly surprised. It reminded me of Zuppa Toscana soup with beans instead of potatoes. The big shocker was that my husband said that this is now his favorite soup!

Printable Recipe

White Bean and Fennel Stew with Italian Sausage
1 lb mild Italian sausage
1 small onion, diced
1 fennel bulb, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
32 oz chicken broth
2 cans (15 oz) white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can diced tomatoes with garlic & Italian herbs, undrained
6 oz frozen spinach, thawed and drained
salt and pepper to taste

In a large pot, brown sausage over medium heat. Add onion, fennel, and garlic and cook until sausage is cooked through, about 7 minutes. Add chicken broth, beans, tomatoes, and spinach. Mix well. Cover and bring to a boil. Uncover; reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 15-30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Serves 6-8

Recipe adapted from Kitchen Scoop

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails