Thursday, May 19, 2011

Chile Verde with Tomatillos

Chile Verde happens to be my favorite food ever! When I got some anaheim peppers and tomatillos in my bountiful basket, I decided to alter my original recipe a little. Both recipes are delicious! This one has a slightly tangy flavor from the tomatillos. I hope you enjoy!

Printable Recipe

Chile Verde with Tomatillos
6 anaheim peppers, roasted, peeled, and chopped
3 tomatillos, roasted and chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, roasted and diced (optional)
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 lbs boneless pork chops, cut into small cubes
3 Tbsp flour
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup water
1 can diced tomatoes, drained
1 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp cumin
shredded cheese
flour tortillas

To roast vegetables, place on greased baking sheet. Place under the broiler for 12-15 minutes, turning halfway through, until charred. Let cool and peel skin from peppers.

Heat oil in a large skillet. Add pork, flour, and garlic. Brown for about 3-4 minutes. Stir in water, anaheim peppers, tomatillos, and jalapenos, scraping up any bits at the bottom of the pan. (Every pepper is different so I taste them before I add them. You can always add more heat but you can't take it out.) Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.

Stir in tomatoes, garlic salt, and cumin. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Serve in flour tortillas. Top with cheese.

Serves 6

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails