Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Chile Verde

This is my absolute favorite dish ever!!! My dad got this recipe from a lady he worked with when I was still in high school. I still remember the first time he ever made it. It was so spicy we could barely eat it. But it was so flavorful that we couldn't stop. I've made it enough times that I've figured out how to have the perfect amount of heat; although when I made it last night I could've added another pepper. This dish is very authentic. Try it! You won't be disappointed. 


Chile Verde 
5-6 anaheim peppers, roasted, peeled, and diced
1 jalapeno, diced (optional)
2 lbs pork cut into cubes (I use pork chops)
3 Tbsp flour
3 cloves minced garlic
1 cup water
1 can diced tomatoes, drained
1 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp cumin
shredded cheese
flour tortillas

To roast peppers you can either broil them in the oven or cook them on the grill. I grilled them for about 10 minutes on each side until they are charred. They will look like this... 

After they have cooled the skin should peel right off. Then they will look like this...
Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add pork, garlic, and flour. Cook until lightly browned. Add water and peppers. (Every pepper is different so I taste them before I add them. You can always add more heat but you can't take it out.) Simmer for about 20 minutes. Add tomatoes, garlic salt, and cumin. Simmer for another 10 minutes. Serve in flour tortillas. 

Serves 6

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails