Thursday, March 31, 2011

German Meatballs with Buttermilk Gravy

My family loves meatballs so any time I see a new meatball recipe I have to try it. This recipe made a ton of meatballs. I thought we would have a lot left over. That was not the case. My kids kept eating and eating. I thought they'd never stop. How my kids react is always a good indication of how good the meal is. This is definitely something I will make again. 


German Meatballs with Buttermilk Gravy

2 lbs ground beef
1 1/2 cups diced onion, divided
3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
3 Tbsp butter, divided
1 tsp brown sugar
1/3 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup milk
1 egg
2 tsp spicy brown or regular mustard
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 cup flour
2 cups buttermilk

Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil and 1 Tbsp butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add brown sugar and 1 cup onion. Cook for about 5 minutes until onion begins to brown. Reduce heat to medium low and cook until caramelized, about 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. 

While onions are caramelizing, combine bread crumbs, milk, egg, mustard, salt, and pepper. Add remaining 1/2 cup onion and ground beef. Mix until fully incorporated. Shape into walnut size meatballs. 

After onions are caramelized add 1-2 Tbsp water to deglaze pan. Remove onions from pan. Increase heat to medium and add 1 Tbsp olive oil to pan. Fry meatballs until browned. (My pan did not hold all of the meatballs so I did this in two batches) Remove from pan and place on paper towels. 

Add remaining 2 Tbsp butter to skillet. Add flour and cook and stir for 1 minute. Whisk in buttermilk until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add onions and meatballs and simmer for 2-3 minutes until thickened. Serve over rice.

Serves 6

Recipe adapted from The Open Pantry

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails